We take a look at the important numbers that will contribute to a Rugby World Cup that breaks records in 2021.
After a whirlwind and momentous month of competition in New Zealand, the home team was crowned champions of the Rugby World Cup for the sixth time this past weekend.
The fact that England came so close to ruining the celebration at Eden Park by losing to the New Zealand Black Ferns in the final of the Rugby World Cup 2021 will ensure that this match will be remembered for a very long time.
It was a fitting conclusion to what has been a truly remarkable event, which has been highlighted by record crowds seeing exhilarating rugby.
As the festivities wind down, we’d like to use this opportunity to highlight some of the most significant findings from the past six glorious weeks in Auckland and Whangarei.
Rugby World Cup in Numbers
- 4 | tries scored by Claudia MacDonald in England’s opening 84-19 triumph against Fiji at Eden Park. Fiji was defeated by England. At the RWC 2021, no other player scored as many points in a single game.
- 5 | During the RWC 2021, players from ngland scored at least three tries in a match on multiple occasions, including Amy Cokayne in the championship game. In total, eight different players were able to accomplish that feat.
- 6 | The Black Ferns defeated England at Eden Park 34-31 to win the Rugby World Cup. In five finals, New Zealand has now defeated the Red Roses. Renee Wickliffe and Kendra Cocksedge were a part of three of the winning teams.
- 7 | Black Ferns winger Portia Woodman scored the most tries overall during the competition. On the first night, Woodman scored three tries against Australia. The next two games against Wales saw him score four tries.
- 12 | changes made by France Fly-half Caroline Drouin has played in six games, more than any other participant in the competition.
- 18 | Black Ferns co-captain Ruahei Demant’s offloads from five games during the RWC 2021 topped the standings. In her team’s 34-31 victory over England in the championship game, Demant earned the title of Mastercard Player of the Match.
- 44 | Emily Scarratt led the competition in scoring with 15, three more than Les Bleues playmaker Drouin. All of England’s points were scored by Scarratt as the Red Roses defeated France 13-7 in the pool stage.
- 44 | New Zealand scored tries in six of the tournament games (7.33 per match). The only other side to score more than 27 tries during RWC 2021 was England (43), but the Black Ferns collectively crossed the finish line once more.
- 50 | During the tournament, New Zealand players made 10 more clean breaks than second-placed England (40), and only seven less than beaten semi-finalists France and Canada combined (57).
- 75 | the largest victory margin in the 26 games played in New Zealand, by points. At the conclusion of the pool stage, when England defeated South Africa 75-0, it happened.
- 80 | the total number of tackles made by both Wales’ Alex Callender and France’s second-row Madoussou Fall at the RWC 2021. Fall played five games in New Zealand, whereas Callender made four appearances, one of which was as a substitution.
- 101 | Sophie de Goede, the captain of Canada, made runs with the ball in her hands throughout the competition. Marlie Packer of England, who has the next-highest total, only has 27. (74).
- 270 | England’s points total in six competition games (45 points per match). The only other side to score more than 200 points was the Red Roses, who had two more points than the hosts, New Zealand (268).
- 916 | French players produced more than 150 more tackles than Canada, who came in second place, at the RWC 2021 (757). Despite being eliminated in the quarterfinals, Wales made the third-most tackles (753 total) during the competition.
- 42,579 | Eden Park was packed with spectators for a day that culminated in the Black Ferns’ thrilling victory over England in the RWC 2021 championship game.
Explore here if you want to find out more about World Cup news, trends, events, games, and rumors.